Teacher Assistants- Lakewood Family YMCA
The Lakewood Family YMCA in Long Beach is looking for part time Before & After School Teacher Assistants. Before & After School Teacher Assistants will assist program participants in the classroom. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
This is a part time position with hours Monday-Friday- 20hrs/week
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for assisting their supervisor in planning and implementing the program for the children in accordance with the policies and philosophies of the YMCA and in compliance with the partnering agency specifications.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the curriculum and maintaining records and reports i.e. attendance and snack rosters.
- Work in a team environment with others, ensuring the enrichment of programs is adequate for the participants.
- Ensure the program has necessary supplies and equipment; report any issues to their direct supervisor.
- Staff are to conduct health a check of children at the time of arrival to the program.
- Prepare lesson plans and develops lesson plans that are age appropriate and consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Present subject matter to students; utilizing variety of methods and techniques such as lecture, discussion and supervised role-play in a positive environment.
- Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities.
- Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Maintains communication with parents, and engages parents as volunteers.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participants, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We are looking for Before & After School Teacher Assistants who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the children, parents and coworkers is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE YMCA OF GREATER LONG BEACH VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College units preferred.
- Current Pediatric CPR and First Aid Certification and Health & Safety Class required within first 3 months of employment.
- 6 months experience working with and supervising children preferred
- Immunization record: Influenza or waiver, Tdap(Pertussis), and MMR(Measles)
- CDSS Manded Reported (AB1207) training required within first month of employment.
- Criminal Clearance: including fingerprints
- Health Exam Screening with Neg TB test and Negative Drug test screening.
- Complete ALL required online training(s).
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $13 to $14/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time