Swim Instructors-YMCA of Greater Long Beach
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach will be hiring Swim Instructors for all four of its branch locations! Although there is still a "Stay at Home" order in place, we are anticipating the order will be lifted before long. As soon as it is, The YMCA of Greater Long Beach will be looking for dynamic candidates who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience. If this sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your resume for this position.
Position Summary: Swim Instructors create a safe and positive atmosphere for participants to learn to swim. Promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
Rate of pay: $13.25 to $14.50 based on experience and ability.
- Must submit resume and answer all pre-employment questions.
- Must have a current Swim Instructor Certification.
- Preference will be given to applicants who already have their Swim Instructor Certification; however, certification classes may be available for applicants who meet all other qualifications. If you are interested in applying, submit your resume and we will contact you to begin the qualification process. We are looking to fulfill aquatics staff positions to start training immediately.
Required Training dates:
- Swim Instructor Certification Training: May 19 & 20, 2020
- Association Aquatics Training: June 7, 2020
- Ensure a safe swimming environment for all participants.
- Prepare for and teach all assigned classes. The use of lesson plans, session plans and evaluation sheets may be necessary.
- Ensure scheduled shift is covered at all times.
- Test and evaluate students at east twice during the swim session. With supervisor assistance, issue progress reports to all students.
- Must be suited, on deck and ready to perform all duties during assigned shift.
- Follow and enforce safety standards, policies and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising. Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is committed to being known as an “Employer of Choice”. It is our desire to attract, develop, and retain outstanding, inspired staff who are representative of the diverse communities we serve, and dedicated to fulfilling the Mission of the YMCA.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 16 years of age, over 18 years of age preferred.
- Must be currently attending high school or equivalent or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current Swim Instructor certification from either YMCA or the American Red Cross, including, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and O2 required and must be maintained and kept in current status. YMCA Swim Instructor Certification is preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment practicum and written exam.
- Be able to perform all requirements for lifeguard certification and demonstrate skills as required (example: in-service trainings)
- Criminal clearance including fingerprints
- Health Screening with Negative Tb and Negative Drug screening.
- Complete all online required training(s).
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- One or more years experience teaching swimming lessons in an aquatics facility is preferred.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $13.25 to $14.50/hour
Complimentary membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time,Seasonal