Swim Instructors - Fairfield FamilyYMCA
The Fairfield Family YMCA is looking for part time Swim Instructors. Swim Instructors create a safe and positive atmosphere for participants to learn to swim. Promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Must have current Swim Instructor Certification.
This is a part time position with an anticipated start date immediately. Weeknights and Saturday Morning shifts.
Rate of pay: $13.25 to $14.50 based on experience and ability. Must answer all pre-screening questions when submitting resume.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure a safe swimming environment for all participants.
- Prepare for and teach all assigned classes. The use of lesson plans, session plans and evaluation sheets may be necessary.
- Ensure scheduled shift is covered at all times.
- Test and evaluate students at east twice during the swim session. With supervisor assistance, issue progress reports to all students.
- Must be suited, on deck and ready to perform all duties during assigned shift.
- Follow and enforce safety standards, policies and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
We are looking for Lifeguards and Swim Instructors who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students and parents is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better experience for our members and participants. If this sounds like a good fit for you please apply for this position.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be at least 16 years of age, over 18 years of age preferred.
- Must be currently attending high school or equivalent, or have high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current swim instructor certification from either YMCA or American Red Cross, including First Aid, CPR and AED required and must be maintained and kept in current status. If being hired with an American Red Cross Certification, must cross over to a YMCA Swim Instructor certification within the first 90 days of employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment practicum and written exam.
- Be able to perform all requirements for swim instructor certification and demonstrate skills as required ( example: in-service trainings)
- Criminal clearance including fingerprints
- Health screening with negative TB and negative drug test screening.
- Complete all online required training(s)
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- Experience teaching swimming lessons in an aquatics facility is a plus
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $13.25 to $14.50/hour
Complimentary membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time