Swim Instructor - Lakewood Family YMCA
Creates a safe and positive atmosphere for participants to learn to swim. Promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Ensure a safe swimming environment for all participants.
2. Prepare for and teach all assigned classes. The use of lesson plans, session plans and evaluation sheets may be necessary.
3. Ensure scheduled shift is covered at all times.
4. Test and evaluate students at east twice during the swim session. With supervisor assistance, issue progress reports to all students.
5. Must be suited, on deck and ready to perform all duties during assigned shift.
6. Follow and enforce safety standards, policies and procedures.
7. Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
8. Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Must be at least 16 years of age, over18 years of age preferred.
2. Must be currently attending high school or equivalent, or have high school diploma or equivalent.
3. Current swim instructor certification from either YMCA or American Red Cross, including First Aid, CPR and AED required and must be maintained and kept in current status. If being hired with an American Red Cross Certification, must cross over to a YMCA Swim Instructor certification within the first 90 days of employment.
4. Must pass a pre-employment practicum and written exam.
5. Be able to perform all requirements for swim instructor certification and demonstrate skills as required ( example: in-service trainings)
6. Criminal clearance including fingerprints
7. Health and Drug screening with TB test
8. Complete Online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
9. Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
10. Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
11. Experience teaching swimming lessons in an aquatics facility is a plus.
Pay: $13.25 to $14.50/hour
Complimentary membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time