Summer Day Camp Counselors - Los Cerritos Family YMCA
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is hiring Summer Day Camp Counselors for our Los Cerritos Family YMCA location! As a day camp counselor, you will supervise a group of children and take them on daily activities that will include arts and crafts, swimming, field trips, team building and sports. We are looking for candidates who will keep safety a top priority at all times and works well the children, parents and coworkers. At the Y, keeping our core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility is central to our activities with the kids. The YMCA of Greater Long Beach will be looking for dynamic candidates who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs
Rate of pay: $15 to $16 - Depending on experience
Must answer all pre-screening questions when submitting resume.
Must be able to attend the Mandatory Training dates of May 14th, and May 21st , 9am-5pm
Shifts offered are 6:30am-9am, 8:30am-4:30pm, and 4:15pm-6pm.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supervise participants in the summer day camp programs.
- Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA core values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards and record participant counts and reports any incidents to a supervisor.
- Inspect activity areas; ensure no hazards are present. Set boundaries to ensure the safety and well being of the participants.
- Ensure that respect for the backgrounds, and needs of all participant and staff are integrated into both program planning and implementation.
- Maintain positive role model and attitude.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participants, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising. Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is committed to being known as an “Employer of Choice”. It is our desire to attract, develop, and retain outstanding, inspired staff who are representative of the diverse communities we serve, and dedicated to fulfilling the Mission of the YMCA.
Fitness Membership – Receive a free fitness membership that allows access to all of our association facilities.
Program Discounts – Get 20% off all Y programs, including childcare, personal training, swim lessons, and sports.
Fun Express Discounts – Get major discounts on amusement parks and local attractions just by being employed at the Y!
Y Retirement – Based on hours worked, employees are eligible for our 12% employer-funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting.
403(B) Account – All employees can make contributions to retirement benefits through a 403(b) savings plan right from the start of employment.
Sick Pay – Employees that work 30+ days within 12 months are eligible for sick pay after 90 days of employment.
EAP – Get 24/7 confidential access to resources and counseling services through our Employee Assistance Program.
Cool Coworkers – When you join our team you get the ability to work with creative, talented, and diverse individuals!
Referral Bonus – Get a $200 referral bonus for recommending a qualifying individual for a valid opening, part time or full time. Referred individual must be on payroll for 2months.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of camp training session and CPR/First Aid certification required.
- Criminal Clearance: including Fingerprints
- Health Exam to include Negative TB test and Negative drug test screening.
- Complete all required online training(s).
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- CIT or LIT training completion recommended or 1-2 years experience working with children
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $15 to $16/hour
Membership to the YMCA, 20% off all YMCA program ( childcare, personal training, swim lessons, sports. )
Job Status: Part Time,Seasonal