Sports Instructor (Playground Partners) - Los Altos Family YMCA
In partnership with LBUSD, The Los Altos Family YMCA is looking for part time Sports Instructors who can positively contribute to our team. Sport Instructors are responsible for the implementation and supervision of the Playground Partners (PGP) program at local elementary schools. PGP is a lunchtime recess supervision recreation program designed to create a safe and positive recess experience where students can learn new sports and games, teamwork and sportsmanship. Promotes character development, safety and engagement.
Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for communicating with instructors, students, and school faculty to maintain order and creating a safe, inclusive and fun environment.
- Create a fun and welcoming environment for kids in grades Kinder-5th
- Coordinate and implement age-appropriate organized play during lunchtime recess. (Mid-day availability required.)
- Ability to facilitate large group sports, games and activities in a short period of time with groups of 50+ kids.
- Ability to adjust to abilities of varying age groups. General understanding of age-appropriate gross motor skills.
- Develop relationships with school principals, office staff, teachers and rec aids.
- Ability to transport sports equipment to program site(s).
- Full school year commitment preferred.
- Must show emotional maturity by controlling frustrations and diffusing situations where others feel tension or stress. Show positive attitude toward the game and all its participants.
- Report any unusual incidents to the Program Director (i.e. altercations between students, injuries, etc.).
- Follow and enforce safety standards, policies and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with school staff, Y staff and students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths
and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE YMCA OF GREATER LONG BEACH VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.
We are looking for Sports Instructors who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members is important. The YMCA staff strive to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
Fitness Membership – Receive a free fitness membership that allows access to all of our association facilities.
Program Discounts – Get 20% off all Y programs, including childcare, personal training, swim lessons, and sports.
Fun Express Discounts – Get major discounts on amusement parks and local attractions just by being employed at the Y!
Y Retirement – Based on hours worked, employees are eligible for our 12% employer-funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting.
403(B) Account – All employees can make contributions to retirement benefits through a 403(b) savings plan right from the start of employment.
Sick Pay – Employees that work 30+ days within 12 months are eligible for sick pay after 90 days of employment.
EAP – Get 24/7 confidential access to resources and counseling services through our Employee Assistance Program.
Cool Coworkers – When you join our team you get the ability to work with creative, talented, and diverse individuals!
Referral Bonus – Get a $200 referral bonus for referring a qualifying individual for a valid opening, part time or full time. Referred individual must be on payroll for 2months.
Skills / Requirements
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- At least 2 years experience in instruction of organized youth sports and/or physical education
- Ability to work independently
- Effectively communicate, collaborate, and cooperate with colleagues, supervisors, teachers, principals and students
- Excellent customer service, communication and leadership skills
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Ability to adequately observe and lead participant activities, enforce safety regulations, follow curriculum, and apply appropriate policies and procedures
- Physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform job related tasks
- Current CPR and First Aid certification
- Background Screening with fingerprints
- Health Exam with Negative TB test and Negative Drug Test Screening.
- Complete all required online training(s).
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $15.25 to $15.50/hour
Membership to the YMCA, 20% off all YMCA program ( childcare, personal training, swim lessons, sports. )
Job Status: Part Time