Sports Instructor - P.L.A.Y. PE- Los Altos Family YMCA
The Los Altos Family YMCA is seeking a Sports /P.L.A.Y Instructor who will be responsible for instructing P.L.A.Y. Physical Education classes at local elementary schools, ensuring participants’ safety and well-being at all times. Instructor will be responsible for creating and safe and fun sports environment for participants.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Responsibilities will include:
- Plan and supervise group practices and games in accordance with Y Mission Statement and the P.L.A.Y. physical education curriculum
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and effectively communicate those objectives to staff and students.
- Translate lesson plans and activities into developmentally appropriate learning experiences to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Engage students in varied experiences that meet diverse needs and promote youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility
- Plan and coordinate the work of educational assistants and other professional support staff, parents, and volunteers in the classroom
- Ensure a safe program operation for all participants
- Provide continual instruction and supervision of group
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and staff trainings
- Maintain a positive relationship with staff, participants, teachers, principals, and parents
- Log daily attendance of participants and maintain records
- Follow YMCA standards, procedures, guidelines, objectives and goals
- Demonstrate enthusiasm in all phases of work with participants
- Ensure effective communication with parents, colleagues and participants
- Instill, teach and model YMCA values at all times
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths
and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process
We are looking for a Sports/P.L.A.Y Instructor who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members is important. The YMCA staff strive to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
Skills / Requirements
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- At least 2 years experience in instruction of organized youth sports and/or physical education
- Ability to work independently
- Effectively communicate, collaborate, and cooperate with colleagues, supervisors, teachers, principals and students
- Experience leading and supervising other instructors
- Excellent customer service, communication and leadership skills
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Ability to adequately observe and lead participant activities, enforce safety regulations, follow curriculum, and apply appropriate policies and procedures
- Physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform job related tasks
- Current CPR and First Aid certification
- Background Screening with fingerprints
- Health Exam with Negative TB test and Negative Drug Test Screening.
- Complete online new employee orientation and child abuse prevention training.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $11.11 to $13.57/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time