Sports Instructor - Los Cerritos YMCA
The Los Cerritos YMCA in Bellflower is looking for Sports Staff who can provide a safe and fun sports environment for participants that promotes wellness and member engagement. We are currently looking for sports staff to work with the basketball league and referee for the games. These are part time positions, with a min. of 12 hours per week. Staff must be available on the weekends(Saturdays) to referee for the games.
The hours would be as follows:
Mondays: evenings 5:15-8:4, Wednesdays: evenings 5:15-8:40pm, Saturdays: mornings/early afternoons 8:30- typically end by 3pm
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Responsibilities will include:
- Must remain in position for the entire game for which they are performing their job. No visiting with visitors, friends or family during the game.
- Responsible for communicating with coaches, players, and helps maintain order and creating a safe and fun environment.
- Responsible for ensuring that participates are on the team roster and not allow those who are not on the roster to participate. Those participating are in proper uniform (please refer to the YMCA Branch Rules Sheet for proper uniform guidelines).
- Responsible for ensuring all rules including participant, Parent Code of Conduct, Coaches Contract and posted gymnasiums/hockey rink rules are enforced. Responsible for informing referee/coaches of any penalties/ improper substitutions.
- Must complete score sheet including the final score of the game. These are not to be distributed to others, it is the property of the YMCA.
- All sports equipment including but not limited to score sheets, clocks, etc. are to be return to the YMCA at the end of the game.
- Responsible to prepare site prior to start of game, preparation includes but not limited to cleaning the rink/gym, having the snack shack prepared, soccer nets, etc. and ensure the location is clean after the game (i.e. picking up trash and any forgotten items for the lost and found).
- Must show emotional maturity by controlling their anger and never use obscene language or gestures. They should show positive attitude toward the game and all its participants.
- Must keep up with the pace of the game running up and down the court a seen fit.
We are looking for Sports Staff who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members and participants is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths
and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Some high school or diploma or equivalent required.
- Spanish speaking is preferred by not required.
- CPR/First Aid certification required.
- Criminal Clearance: Including Fingerprints and background clearance
- Health Screening with Neg/TB and Negative Drug Test Screening.
- Complete Online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
- Sports background and/or organized sport involvement required.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: from $12.11/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time