Martial Arts Instructor - Lakewood Family YMCA
The Lakewood Family YMCA is a rapidly growing and progressive Branch that is looking for individuals who can positively contribute to our team, and lead youth Martial Arts classes that will develop youth physically and mentally. Under the supervision of the Healthy Lifestyles Director, the Martial Arts instructor is responsible for cultivating an atmosphere of Martial Arts in a safe, and enjoyable environment. Must be available to teach Tuesday and Thursday afternoons/early evenings. He/she will be responsible for managing those functions in accordance with the stated mission and policies established by the YMCA.
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Create lesson plans to ensure skill progression for all ages advancing in belt levels.
- Plan and communicate belt-testing event to promote students within the class.
- Plan and prepare skill progression specific to martial arts for each class.
- Instruct martial arts skill progression for all ages advancing in belt levels.
- Ensure students are using proper form and structure.
- Responsible for martial arts students’ supervision and safety.
- Accurately track attendance and payment of enrollees.
- Provide parent communication through daily connections and class overviews
- Complete skill evaluations for each student in class and keep skill cards up to date for class selection and progression awards
- Follows payroll procedures and is accurate in recording work hours.
- Follows all protocols for subbing requests when unable to work.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Attends all staff meetings, required trainings and maintains relevant certifications required for the role.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Actively participate and support the Annual Campaign.
We are looking for a Martial Arts Instructor(s)who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members and participants is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Skills / Requirements
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED
- Six months or more of related experience preferred
- Martial Arts Instructors must demonstrate competence through completion of appropriate training sanctioned by a recognized Martial Arts National Governing Body.
- Positive attitude and previous experience with children and adults and diverse populations
- Criminal/Fingerprint clearance, Health Exam with cleared TB test, and Negative Drug Test Screening
- Complete Online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention training.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (LEADER):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $20 to $23/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time