Lifeguards- Los Cerritos Family YMCA
The Los Cerritos YMCA Branch is looking for part time Lifeguards . Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas by creating a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. The YMCA of Greater Long Beach will be looking for dynamic candidates who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience. If this sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your resume for this position.
Rate of pay: $15.25 to $16.25 based on experience and ability.
- Must submit resume and answer all pre-employment questions.
- Must have a current Lifeguard Certification.
- Preference will be given to applicants who already have their Lifeguard Certification; however, certification classes may be available for applicants who meet all other qualifications. If you are interested in applying, submit your resume.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Be rescue ready at all times when on deck and during scheduled work hours.
- Ensure scheduled shift is covered at all times.
- Conduct and monitor all swim tests prior to participants engaging in pool activities.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Provide emergency care and treatment as necessary and until medical professionals arrive.
- Perform chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required
Fitness Membership – Receive a free fitness membership that allows access to all of our association facilities.
Program Discounts – Get 20% off all Y programs, including childcare, personal training, swim lessons, and sports.
Fun Express Discounts – Get major discounts on amusement parks and local attractions just by being employed at the Y!
Y Retirement – Based on hours worked, employees are eligible for our 12% employer-funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting.
403(B) Account – All employees can make contributions to retirement benefits through a 403(b) savings plan right from the start of employment.
Sick Pay – Employees that work 30+ days within 12 months are eligible for sick pay after 90 days of employment.
EAP – Get 24/7 confidential access to resources and counseling services through our Employee Assistance Program.
Cool Coworkers – When you join our team you get the ability to work with creative, talented, and diverse individuals!
Referral Bonus – Get a $200 referral bonus for referring a qualifying individual for a valid opening, part time or full time. Referred individual must be on payroll for 2months.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising. Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is committed to being known as an “Employer of Choice”. It is our desire to attract, develop, and retain outstanding, inspired staff who are representative of the diverse communities we serve, and dedicated to fulfilling the Mission of the YMCA.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 16 years of age, over 18 years of age preferred.
- Must be currently attending high school or equivalent or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current Lifeguard certification from either YMCA or the American Red Cross, including, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and O2 required and must be maintained and kept in current status. YMCA Lifeguard Certification is preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment practicum and written exam.
- Be able to perform all requirements for lifeguard certification and demonstrate skills as required (example: in-service trainings)
- Criminal clearance including fingerprints
- Health Screening with Negative Tb and Negative Drug screening.
- Complete all online required training(s).
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate. Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $15.25 to $16.25/hour
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach provides a positive work environment with many benefits for employees like complimentary Y Membership, with access to many conveniently scheduled fitness classes. Get a 20% Discounted Employee Rate for a range of our incredible YMCA Programs, including Child Care, Swimming, Sports, and Personal Training. We also offer two YMCA Retirement Plans with incredible value: 401(a) and 403(b). Take advantage of a flexible work schedule, to make your work-life balance a priority.
Job Status: Part Time,Seasonal