Lifeguard - Swim Instructors
The Lakewood Family YMCA is looking for Lifeguards and Swim Instructors. Hours per week will range from 5 - 25 depending on your availability. Lifeguards - Swim Instructors are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas and creating a safe and positive atmosphere for all participants. Responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining constant surveillance of the pool area and being rescue ready.
- Knowing all emergency procedures and responding to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Prepare for and teach all assigned classes.
We are looking for Lifeguards - Swim Instructors who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students and parents is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better experience for our members and participants. If this sounds like a good fit for you please apply for this position.
Skills / Requirements
- Current certification for Lifeguard training (recognized by the State of California), First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED required and must be maintained and kept in current status. O2, Water Safety Instructor (Red Cross) or Fundamentals of Teaching YMCA Swim Lessons preferred. YMCA Lifeguard Certification is preferred.
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- One or more years experience teaching swimming lessons in an aquatics facility.
Working Conditions: Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $11.78 to $14/hour
Complimentary membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time, Seasonal