Lifeguard - Lakewood Family YMCA
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
2. Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
3. Serve as a first responder in the event of an emergency at the branch.
4. Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
5. Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
6. Be rescue ready at all times when on deck and during scheduled work hours.
7. Ensure scheduled shift is covered at all times.
8. Conduct and monitor all swim tests prior to participants engaging in pool activities.
9. Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
10. Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
11. Provide emergency care and treatment as necessary and until medical professionals arrive.
12. Perform chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
13. Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
14. Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
15. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Must be 16 years of age, over 18 years of age preferred.
2. Must be currently attending high school or equivalent or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
3. Current Lifeguard certification from either YMCA or the American Red Cross, including, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and O2 required and must be maintained and kept in current status. YMCA Lifeguard Certification is preferred.
4. Must pass a pre-employment practicum and written exam.
5. Be able to perform all requirements for lifeguard certification and demonstrate skills as required (example: in-service trainings)
6. Criminal clearance including fingerprints
7. Health Screening with Negative TB and Negative Drug test screening.
8. Complete all online Training(s).
9. Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
10. Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
11. One or more years experience teaching swimming lessons in an aquatics facility is preferred.
Pay: $13.25 to $14.50/hour
Complimentary membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time