Gymnastics Instructor 1 - Lakewood
Responsible for the instruction of YMCA participants in gymnastics in accordance with YMCA program standards.
- Instruct participants in gymnastics.
- Verify participants are on role sheets.
- Advance children from one level to the next, following necessary testing procedures.
- Plan each lesson in advance (with Program Director input if necessary) for maximum participation. Make sure participants rotate events according to schedule.
- Inform supervisor if equipment is broken or lost.
- Build relationships with parents and show your interest in their child. Keep the parents informed of new skills their child has learned or needs to work on.
- Report all accidents to supervisor and fill out accident (incident) reports thoroughly. Know emergency procedures.
- Instruct all participants in the safety rules.
- Assist in grouping participants according to skill level.
- Make sure participants rotate events accordingly.
- Assist at demonstrations and shows.
- Assist in maintaining clean attractive gymnastic facility.
- Assist with gymnast of the month certificates and other rewards and incentives.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths
and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process
- Must be at least 16 years of age, 18 years or older preferred.
- Education & Certifications: Must be currently attending high school or equivalent or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Criminal Clearance: Including Fingerprints and background clearance
- Health screening with a cleared TB Test and negative Drug Test Screening.
- Complete all required online training(s).
- Gymnastics background and/or organized sport involvement required.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. gymnasium and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $15.50 to $17.63/hour
Job Status: Part Time