ECE Master Teacher - YMCA Creative Beginnings Preschool
The Early Childhood Education program of the YMCA of Greater Long Beach is looking for a Full-time Preschool Master Teacher to work with children between 3yrs to 5yrs of age and provide leadership support to our Creative Beginnings Preschool, locating in the city of Long Beach. Teacher will assist in the supervision of program participants and staff, implement program curriculum in the classroom and provide a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
This is a full time position with excellent benefits. Please include resume.
- Plans and implements a developmentally appropriate program for children and families to include environment, curriculum, materials etc. Implements and promote NAEYC and ECERS standards to ensure a high quality, developmentally appropriate program for young children at all timeAssumes responsibility for planning, providing, and evaluating indoor and outdoor environment, activities and routines to meet State and Licensing requirements.
- Assume responsibility of the program in the absence of the Site Supervisor.
- Models and promotes positive behavior, attitude and language while developing positive conflict resolution skills among children, parents and staff. Maintains open lines of communication with parents, staff and administration.
- Document children’s developmental growth with portfolios which include assessments, observations, and sample of children’s work and discuss them with parents during periodic parent conferences.
- Conducts in a range of activities that promote family involvement, membership by design, and relationship by design.
- Follow center and Association policies and procedures for health and safety and nutrition.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, parents, staff and supervisor.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
The YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students, parents and other staff members is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position! Relevant experience is preferred.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- 24 units of Childhood Education/Child Development units required including core course; Child Human Growth and Development, Child, Family & Community or Child and Family Relations; and Programs Curriculum) at a WASC accredited institution.
- 16 units of GE in humanities/fine arts, social sciences, math/science, English/language arts at an EASC accredited institution.
- 6 specialization units – Infant/Toddler Care; Bilingual/bicultural Development; Child with Exceptional Needs; Preschool Curriculum; Parent/Teacher Relations; and Child Health – plus 2 adult supervision units at a WASC accredited institution. CPR/First Aid certification required.
- Current CPR and 1st Aid Certification required.
- Criminal Clearance: including fingerprints
- Health Exam to include TB test and Negative Drug Test Screening clearances.
- Complete online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities
- 350 days of 3+hours per day within 2 years OR BA or higher with 12 units of EDE 3 semester units supervised field experience in ECE/School Aged setting. Experience supervising and providing instruction to staff.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $15 to $19.76/hour
Pay Comments:The YMCA of Greater Long Beach provides a progressive work environment with great benefits, including a 12% employer-funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting, ability to make additional contributions to retirement benefits through 403(b) savings plan, high quality and affordable healthcare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability (medical 90% employer-paid for the employee), free use of YMCA facilities for immediate family, a generous paid time off package and the ability to work with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
Job Status: Full Time