Childcare Program Teacher- Los Cerritos Family YMCA
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is looking for part time Before & After School Teachers for it's Los Cerritos Family Branch located in the city of Bellflower. Teachers will provide direction and supervision for program participants and implements program curriculum in the classroom. We are looking for someone who will keep safety a top priority at all times and works well the children, parents and coworkers.
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Support in planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate program for children and families to include environment, curriculum, and materials, which meet State and Licensing requirements.
- Model and promote positive behavior, attitude and language while developing positive conflict resolution skills among children, parents and staff. Maintains open lines of communication with parents, staff and administration.
- Knowledge of and experience with child development theory to create a culturally sensitive environment that is child oriented to promote children’s optimal development.
- Assist with maintaining children’s portfolios and making anecdotal observations and records.
- Conduct a health check of children at the time of arrival to the program.
- Present subject matter to students, utilizing a variety of methods and techniques, such as lecture, discussion and supervised role-play in a positive environment.
- Monitor the children, classroom, and their activities.
- Maintains communication with parents, and engages parents as volunteers, and supervisor.
- Attend all staff meetings, training's and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We are looking for Before & After School Teachers who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the children, parents and coworkers is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE YMCA OF GREATER LONG BEACH VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 12 units of Childhood Education/Child Development units and/or related courses required including six units in core courses of Child Human Growth and Development and Child, Family & Community or Child and Family Relations.
- A minimum of 6 months experience supervising and providing instruction to children in a childcare setting. Experience working with diverse populations preferred.
- Current Pediatric CPR and First Aid Certification and Health & Safety Class required within first 3 months of employment.
- Immunization record: Influenza or waiver, Tdap(Pertussis), and MMR(Measles)
- CDSS Manded Reported (AB1207) training required within first month of employment.
- Criminal Clearance: including fingerprints- Livescan
- Health Exam Screening with Neg TB test and Negative Drug test screening.
- Complete all required online training(s).
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: from $14.75/hour
Job Status: Part Time