Chief Operations Officer -YMCA of Greater Long Beach
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach has a uniquely exciting opportunity for that special executive level candidate who is looking for a defining career move. The COO, yes the Chief Operating Officer position, is available early this year and the right candidate will help propel the Association to the next level and beyond. Reporting directly to one of the most exciting CEO’s in the Y organization, the successful candidate will become part of a team that will help a very successful Association reach new heights. Building authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance support the Y’s work and effectively communicating with the various stakeholders is important. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a dedication to their own improvement of capabilities, and show this through the continual expansion of knowledge and skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Implements, measures, and evaluates all aspects of the Association Strategic Plan. Communicates progress and outcomes to all parties.
2. Supervises branch executive directors to assure sound operations according to the annual operating budget. Provides leadership and direction to the branches by coaching branch executives and by providing overall direction to the branch boards and volunteers. Monitors monthly financial reports to assure that revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled.
3. Ensures the operational growth of the YMCA through program expansion, member recruitment and retention, pricing strategies, new site development, collaborations, and mergers and acquisitions.
4. Identifies potential areas for branch cooperative programming to accomplish YMCA goals, and works with staff groups to develop and implement programs. Assists branch staff in the planning, development and implementation of new programs initiatives and activities.
5. Provides reports to committees, the Board of Directors and the President/CEO.
6. Provides staff leadership to assigned Committees of the Board of Directors.
7. Supervises Association safety and risk management program, safety team leaders, insurance purchases and incident follow-up.
8. Coordinates the Association Program Cluster system assuring leadership development and a current chart of work is maintained by each cluster.
9. Supervise the Marketing and Communications Director and the Marketing function.
10. Implements and oversees a program evaluation system to guarantee faithfulness to YMCA purpose, high quality and maintenance of YMCA standards.
11. Report to the CEO in all matters and is empowered to act on behalf of the CEO when requested.
YMCA Organizational Leader Core Competencies:
Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Ys mission and values into the organization’s vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
Personal Growth: Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates courage and humility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
We are looking for a Chief Operations Officer who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to others is critical. Our goal at the Y is to meet or exceed expectations and deliver a high-value experience for our stakeholders. We embrace new approaches and ideas on how to create a stronger YMCA. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is a $22M organization with 656 employees. The YMCA of Greater Long Beach has three traditional YMCA branches offering membership throughout the service area, the Weingart-Lakewood Family YMCA in Lakewood, CA is the largest facility, the entire facility was newly renovated this year with state of the art exercise equipment, a pool and newly renovated gymnasium. The two centers in Long Beach, CA are the Los Altos Family YMCA in east Long Beach and the Fairfield Family YMCA in north Long Beach. In the Big Bear, CA area the association has a full service resident camp. In the Bellflower community the Los Cerritos YMCA offers day camp, aquatics and afterschool programming. The Early Childhood Education program, funded by the State of California, operates 5 preschools throughout the Greater Long Beach area. In Downtown Long Beach the Community Development branch runs the Youth Institute and Change Agent Productions. In addition to these centers, there are 30+ afterschool programs located across the 13 city service area.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Skills / Requirements
Experience & Background:
- Ten or more years of professional experience in the YMCA or another not for profit with multi-sites responsibilities.
- Knowledge and experience in all aspects of branch operations, including staff supervision and development, successful membership practices, budgeting and budget adherence, quality program development and implementation.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Knowledgeable in property management and sound financial practices.
- Ability to relate and communicate with top community leaders.
- Clear understanding of the mission and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers and staff. YMCA Organizational Leadership certificate required within three years from date of hire.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. kitchen and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $120,000 to $170,000/year
In addition to a competitive salary package, the YMCA of Greater Long Beach provides a progressive work environment with great benefits, including a 12% employer-funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting, ability to make additional contributions to retirement benefits through 403(b) savings plan, high quality and affordable healthcare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability (medical 90% employer-paid for the employee), free use of YMCA facilities for immediate family, a generous paid time off package and the ability to work with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
Job Status: Full Time