Camp Kitchen Staff
YMCA Camp Oakes, located in Big Bear City, is looking for a Camp Kitchen Staff to deliver excellent service to all camp participants, respond to participants needs, prepare food, assist with keeping the kitchen clean. For over 50 years, Camp Oakes has taken generations of children, groups, and families to new heights with new friends at their sides. Camp Oakes is the ultimate camp experience, providing high quality programs including horseback riding, rifles, archery, canoeing and more!
Basic responsibilities of the Camp Kitchen Staff include:
- Prepare food for the camp participants.
- Organize meal times in the dining hall and various cook-outs.
- Assist in the orientation of each group on the proper techniques of the dining hall.
- Ensure kitchen supplies are kept at a usable level and when supplies are low and keep the the kitchen and dining hall clean.
- Inspect activity areas; ensure no hazards are present and set boundaries and the safety and well being of the participants.
- Ensures that respect for the backgrounds, and needs of all participant and staff are integrated into both program planning and implementation.
- Maintain positive role model and attitude.
We are looking for Camp Kitchen Staff who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the children, parents and coworkers is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 16 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- County food handlers card required
- Ability to connect with people of diverse backgrounds
- Experience working children preferably in a camp setting
- Must pass criminal background check including fingerprints
- Must pass a drug test, complete a health exam to include TB test
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. kitchen and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $15.50 to $17.63/hour
Why work at Camp Oakes? Paid training, room and board provided, great location, pay increases for returning staff and we take pride in our staff. Our full summer runs June 10th through Labor Day. We have limited positions available before and after our full summer program as well.
Job Status: Part Time