Associate Teacher - YMCA Creative Beginnings Preschool
The Early Childhood Education program of the YMCA of Greater Long Beach is looking for Preschool Associate Teachers to work with children between 3yrs to 5yrs of age and provide leadership support to our YMCA Creative Beginnings Preschool. We are looking for candidates who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students, parents and other staff members is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position! Relevant experience is preferred.
This is a full time position with hours during the day Monday through Friday with excellent benefits!
***Must answer all pre-screening questions when submitting resume***
- Support in planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate program for children and families to include environment, curriculum, materials, etc that meet NAEYC, ECERS, State and Licensing requirements to ensure quality.
- Model and promote positive behavior, attitude and language while developing positive conflict resolution skills among children, parents and staff. Maintains open lines of communication with parents, staff and administration.
- Knowledge of and experience with child development theory to create a culturally sensitive environment that is child oriented to promote children’s optimal development.
- Assist with maintaining children’s portfolios and making anecdotal observations and records.
- Present subject matter to students; utilizing variety of methods and techniques such as lecture, discussion and supervised role-play in a positive environment.
- Monitor the children, classroom, and their activities.
- Maintains communication with parents, and engages parents as volunteers.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
The YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 12 units of Childhood Education/Child Development required including core course; Child Human Growth and Development, Child, Family & Community or Child and Family Relations; and Programs Curriculum at a WASC accredited institution. Child Dev. Associate (CDA) Credential; or CTC Approved training in place of the units is acceptable.
- CPR/First Aid certification required.
- Basic knowledge of computers (Microsoft Word )
- Criminal Clearance: including fingerprints.
- 50 days of 3+ hours per day within 2 years. Experience supervising and providing instruction to staff required.
- Health Exam screening with Negative TB Test and Negative Drug Test Screening.
- Complete ALL online required training (s).
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $13.23 to $14.22/hour
Pay Comments:The YMCA of Greater Long Beach provides a progressive work environment with great benefits, including a 12% employer-funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting, ability to make additional contributions to retirement benefits through 403(b) savings plan, high quality and affordable healthcare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability (medical 90% employer-paid for the employee), free use of YMCA facilities for immediate family, a generous paid time off package and the ability to work with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
Job Status: Full Time