Associate Preschool Teacher- Downtown Preschool
The Early Childhood Education program of the YMCA of Greater Long Beach is looking for Associate Preschool Teachers to work with children between 3 to 5 years of age. This is a full time position with hours during the day Monday - Friday.
Primary job responsibilities include:
Support in planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate program for children and families to include environment, curriculum, materials etc that meet NAEYC, ECERS, State and Licensing requirements to ensure quality.
Model and promote positive behavior, attitude and language while developing positive conflict resolution skills among children, parents and staff. Maintains open lines of communication with parents, staff and administration.
Knowledge of and experience with child development theory to create a culturally sensitive environment that is child oriented to promote children’s optimal development.
Assist with maintaining children’s portfolios and making anecdotal observations and records.
- Present subject matter to students; utilizing variety of methods and techniques such as lecture, discussion and supervised role-play in a positive environment.
Monitor the children, classroom, and their activities.
Maintains communication with parents, and engages parents as volunteers.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
Perform other duties as assigned.
We are looking for a Associate Preschool Teachers who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students, parents and other staff memebrs is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 12 units of Childhood Education/Child Development units required including core course; Child Human Growth and Development, Child, Family & Community or Child and Family Relations; and Programs Curriculum at a WASC accredited institution. Child Dev. Associate (CDA) Credential; or CTC Approved training in place of the units is acceptable.
- CPR/First Aid certification required.
- Criminal Clearance: including fingerprints.
- 50 days of 3+ hours per day within 2 years. Experience supervising and providing instruction to staff required.
- Must pass a health exam, clear TB test, and drug test.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $15.50 to $17.63/hour
Believing that our people deserve the best, the YMCA offers and exceptional benefit package. Our comprehensive benefits package for full time employees includes the following: Medical - Employees may choose between Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross medical plan options to meet their needs: both options provide comprehensive major medical coverage, prescription drug coverage, discounts for participating providers, and coverage of preventive services. Other beenfits include: dental, vision, flexible spending account, life insurance, long term disability, and excellent retirement. Complimentary use of YMCA facilities for you and your immediate family. Program fees at special rates.
Job Status: Full Time