AM Youth Development - Los Cerritos
Under the supervision of the Program Director, responsible for the implementation and supervision of the Playground Partners (PGP) program at local elementary schools. PGP is a lunchtime recess supervision recreation program designed to create a safe and positive recess experience where students can learn new sports and games, teamwork and sportsmanship. Promotes character development, safety and engagement.
Hours: M - F 6:30am - 1:30pm
Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for communicating with instructors, students, and school faculty to maintain order and creating a safe, inclusive and fun environment.
- Create a fun and welcoming environment for kids in grades Kinder-5th
- Coordinate and implement age-appropriate organized play during lunchtime recess. (Mid-day availability required.)
- Ability to facilitate large group sports, games and activities in a short period of time with groups of 50+ kids.
- Ability to adjust to abilities of varying age groups. General understanding of age-appropriate gross motor skills.
- Develop relationships with school principals, office staff, teachers and rec aids.
- Ability to transport sports equipment to program site(s).
- Full school year commitment preferred.
- Must show emotional maturity by controlling frustrations and diffusing situations where others feel tension or stress. Show positive attitude toward the game and all its participants.
- Report any unusual incidents to the Program Director (i.e. altercations between students, injuries, etc.).
- Follow and enforce safety standards, policies and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with school staff, Y staff and students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Minimum age of 18 years old.
- 48 college units
- First Aid, CPR, and AED certifications required within 60 days.
- Ability to work independently.
- Sports background and/or organized sport involvement required.
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- Effectively communicate, collaborate, and cooperate with colleagues, supervisors, teachers, principals and students.
- Excellent customer service, communication and leadership skills
- Background screening clearance.
- Health screening w/Neg TB and Neg Drug Test Screening.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Complete online new employee orientation and child abuse prevention training.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. gymnasium and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: From $16.50 per hour
Pay: from $16.50/hour
Job Status: Part Time