YMCA After School Program Leaders- Los Cerritos YMCA
The Los Cerritos YMCA, in Bellflower is currently hiring for Program Leaders positions to work with elementary and middle school aged youth. As an After School Program Leader, you will be supervising a group of 15-20 youth between grades Kindergarten through 8th and assisting in the coordination and implementation of the day-to-day operations of the after school academic enrichment program. We are looking for Program Leaders who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the children, parents and coworkers is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
Typical Work Schedule: Monday through Friday Actual schedule varies by site.
Essentail Responsibilities :
- Assist supervisor with planning and implementing the program for students in accordance with organization and agency policies.
- Comply with site policies and procedures.
- Work in a team environment.
- Develop engaging lesson plans that are age appropriate and meet organization and agency guidelines.
- Supervise students at all times.
- Create a welcoming environment for students.
- Maintain open lines of communication with site stakeholders.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, trainings and other organization/agency functions as required by supervisor.
- Maintain professional appearance and demeanor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Additionally, demonstrate proof of 48 completed college units. Childhood Education/Child Development units preferred.
- Current CPR and 1st Aid Certification required within first 3 months of employment.
- Clear the Live Scan (criminal background check via fingerprinting).
- Conduct a health exam with TB test and negative Drug test screening.
- Complete Online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Minimum of six-months experience working with and supervising children.
- Experience with MAC and PC format computers is preferred.
- Bilingual with English/Spanish preferred.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $11 to $12.74/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time