Summer Program Staff- YMCA Camp Oakes
YMCA Camp Oakes, located in Big Bear City, is looking for a seasonal Summer Program Staff to facilitate programs for various groups of youth throughout the summer. Working at a youth camp can be one of the toughest, yet one of the most rewarding jobs you will ever undertake. Staff must be willing to work hard and understand that they will be expected to devote the their time and energy necessary to provide a successful experience for our campers. The ability to work as part of a team is critical to all staff positions. Staff will be working closely with co-ed staff, acquire new outdoor skills as well as “people skills”, reap the benefits of healthy living in an outdoor environment and gain new experiences that will last a lifetime. Program Staff will be trained to supervise in the following areas on the basis of experience, ability and interest: archery, BBs, fishing, astronomy, canoeing, swimming, crafts, gold panning, high and low ropes challenge course, zip line, hikes and more. Room and board are provided in a group living setting.
This is a Seasonal part time position and it pays $408/week. Typical work week: 6 days/wk, between 7 to 14 hours work day, with at least a 24hr period off every week.
Staff training begins Wednesday, May 29 and camp ends mid-August.
- Supervise participants in the summer day camp programs.
- Notifies immediate supervisor of all incidents and when supplies are low and needed.
- Assist / responsible for all cabin activities as assigned.
- Inspect activity areas, ensure no hazards are present and set boundaries and the safety and well being of the participants.
- Ensures that respect for the backgrounds, and needs of all participant and staff are integrated into both program planning and implementation.
- Maintain positive role model and attitude.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with Branch Directors, Lease Group Leaders, participant, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We are looking for summer program staff who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the children, parents and coworkers is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising. Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Skills / Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years old
- First Aid and CPR certification required
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- Experience working children preferably in a camp setting
- Outgoing personality with strong verbal communication skills
- Must pass criminal background check including fingerprints
- Health screening with negative TB, and negative drug test screening
- Complete New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Preventative Training
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Job Status: Seasonal