Summer Day Camp Leader- Los Altos Family YMCA
The Los Altos Family YMCA is looking for Summer Day Camp Leader, who are energetic, fun and enjoy making a difference in the lives of children. As a Summer Day CampLeader, you will directly supervising between 20-40 campers and 4-6 camp counselors, and helping set up activities for camp days at the YMCA. Candidate will also be the main point of contact for your group while on field trips and other outings. At the Y, keeping our core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility is central to our activities with with the kids.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supervise staff and participants in the summer day camp programs.
- Main point of contact for group(s)
- Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA core values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards and record participant counts and reports any incidents to a supervisor.
- Inspect activity areas; ensure no hazards are present. Set boundaries to ensure the safety and well being of the participants.
- Ensure that respect for the backgrounds, and needs of all participant and staff are integrated into both program planning and implementation.
- Maintain positive role model and attitude.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participants, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
We are looking for Summer Day Camp Leader, who demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the children, parents and coworkers is important. The YMCA staff strive to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our families. We embrace new ideas and look forward to creating the best possible experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you, please apply!
Skills / Requirements
- Must be at least 18
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Minimum 1 year of experience working with children
- Must complete 24 hours of Association Day Camp Training
- Must pass criminal background check including fingerprints
- Must pass a drug test, complete a health exam to include TB test
- Complete Online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate to loud. While in this position the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $12.50 to $13/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time, Seasonal