Sports Instructor - Los Altos Family YMCA
Under the supervision of the Sports Coordinator, The Los Altos Family YMCA is looking for part time Sports Instructors who can a safe and positive atmosphere for participants to learn to play sports. Promotes character development, safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Responsible for communicating with coaches, players, and helps maintain order and creating a safe, inclusive and fun environment.
- Responsible for ensuring that participates are on the team roster and if applicable in uniform.
- Ensure all rules including participant, Parent Code of Conduct, Coaches Contract and posted rules are followed. Responsible for informing referee/coaches of any penalties/improper substitutions.
- When score keeping, complete score sheet including the final score of the game.
- Monitor and track YMCA sports equipment, making sure items are turned in at the end of the game or event.
- Responsible to prepare site prior to start of game or event, preparation includes but not limited to cleaning the area, and making necessary preparation for planned activity.
- Must show emotional maturity by controlling frustrations and diffusing situations where others feels tension or stress. Show positive attitude toward the game and all its participants.
- Report any unusual incidents to the Program Director (i.e. altercations between players, officials, parents or injuries).
- If working in a sports instructor role , provide sports instruction in a planned and age appropriate way.
- Follow and enforce safety standards, policies and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We are looking for Sports Instructors who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the children, parents and coworkers is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be at least 16 years of age, over 18 years of age preferred.
- Must be currently attending high school or equivalent, or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- First Aid, CPR, and AED are required and must be maintained and kept in a current status..
- Criminal clearance including fingerprints through Livescan.
- Health screening with Negative TB test and Negative Drug Test Screening.
- Strong communication skills.
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- Sports background and/or organized sport involvement required.
- Complete Online New Employee Orientation and Child Abuse Prevention Training.
Pay: $12 to $12.50/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time