Maintenance/Handy Worker- Los Altos Family YMCA
The Los Altos Family YMCA is looking for a part time (on- call ) Maintenance/ Handy Worker. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Maintenance/Handy-person will perform general maintenance work on an on-call basis to keep the facility running efficiently and in good repair.
Must submit resume and answer all pre-screening questions.
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Perform routine repair and maintenance on equipment and building interior and exterior.
- General knowledge of minor plumbing or minor electrical when needed, replacing light bulbs, wall repair, flooring repair and installation, etc.
- Complete maintenance and repair work orders, in a timely fashion.
- Able to do preventative maintenance with minimal supervision.
- Support janitorial projects as needed.
- Order and replace broken parts, equipment and supplies.
- Maintain a clean and a safe work space.
- Works in a safe manner and recognizes unsafe situations. Takes appropriate action to ensure safety of themselves and others in building.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
We are looking for Maintenance/Handy Worker who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members and participants is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new ideas and enjoy discovering the best ways we can create a positive experience for our member. If this sounds like a job for you please apply!
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
Skills / Requirements
- Minimum age - 18 years old.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Previous experience in maintenance or other related fields
- Familiarity with hand-held tools and equipment
- Deadline and detail-oriented. Ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle physical workload
- Experience operating or assisting with pool (pump room) operations preferred.
- Physical exam w/negative TB screening, negative drug test screening, Criminal clearance including fingerprints.
- Complete ALL required online trainings.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. kitchen and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $14 to $18/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time,On Call