Lifeguards - Los Cerritos Family YMCA (Bellflower/Paramount)
The Los Cerritos Family YMCA is looking for part time Summer Lifeguards for their Bellflower and Paramount Pool locations. Lifeguards will maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures
Must answer pre-screening questions.
Rate of pay: $14.50 to $14.75 based on experience and ability.
Bellflower :14001 Bellflower Blvd Bellflower, CA 90706
Paramount: 14400 Paramount Blvd Paramount, CA 90723
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Serve as a first responder in the event of an emergency at the branch.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Be rescue ready at all times when on deck and during scheduled work hours.
- Ensure scheduled shift is covered at all times.
- Conduct and monitor all swim tests prior to participants engaging in pool activities.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Provide emergency care and treatment as necessary and until medical professionals arrive.
- Perform chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement:Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration:Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness:Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth:Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Must be 16 years of age, over 18 years of age preferred.
- Must be currently attending high school or equivalent or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current Lifeguard certification from either YMCA or the American Red Cross, including, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and O2 required and must be maintained and kept in current status. YMCA Lifeguard Certification is preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment practicum and written exam.
- Be able to perform all requirements for lifeguard certification and demonstrate skills as required (example: in-service trainings)
- Criminal clearance including fingerprints
- Health screening with Neg TB and Neg drug test screening.
- Complete all required online training(s).
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- One or more years experience teaching swimming lessons in an aquatics facility is preferred.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. gymnasium and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $14.50 to $14.75/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time,Seasonal