Lifeguards - Los Altos Family YMCA
The Los Altos Family YMCA is looking for Lifeguards. Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas by creating a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Must have current Lifeguard Certification.
This is a part time position with hours ranging from 5am -8pm weekdays and 7am-5pm weekends. Must be able and willing to work 3 days per week
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Be rescue ready at all times when on deck and during scheduled work hours.
- Ensure scheduled shift is covered at all times.
- Conduct and monitor all swim tests prior to participants engaging in pool activities.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Provide emergency care and treatment as necessary and until medical professionals arrive.
- Perform chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
We are looking for Lifeguards who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students and parents is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embrace new approaches and ideas to create a better experience for our members and participants. If this sounds like a good fit for you please apply for this position.
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Skills / Requirements
- Must be at least 16 years of age, over 18 years of age preferred.
- Current certification for: Required to have Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, and AED (Red Cross or YMCA). Emergency Oxygen is preferred. Certifications must be maintained and kept in current status.
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- One or more years of lifeguarding or teaching lessons in an aquatics facility.
- Criminal Fingerprint clearance, Health Screening with Negative TB and Negative Drug test screening.
- Complete Online New Employee Orientation/Child Abuse Prevention training.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $12.73 to $14.47/hour
Complimentary membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time