Head Lifeguard- Fairfield Family YMCA
The Fairfield Family YMCA is looking for individuals who can positively contribute to our team, and lead by example that will provide the members an energetic experience. Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Head Lifeguard is responsible for supervising the staff and for procedures of the Aquatics Department. Candidate will be responsible for managing those functions in accordance with the stated mission and policies established by the YMCA.This position will ensure that the Lakewood Family YMCA is a safe, enjoyable and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement.
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Perform chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Perform pool opening and closing procedures – training is provided.
- Responsible for scheduling classes, completing program paperwork, scheduling lifeguards.
- Supervising lifeguards 1 and 2 when requested and may act as the Director in their absence.
- Ability to conduct lifeguard instruction training.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with participants, coaches, referee, staff and supervisor.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Be rescue ready at all times when on deck and during scheduled work hours.
- Ensure scheduled shifts are covered at all times.
- Conduct and monitor all swim tests prior to participants engaging in pool activities.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Provide emergency care and treatment as necessary and until medical professionals arrive.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We are looking for a Head Lifeguard who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members and participants is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for our members. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
Skills / Requirements
- Education & Certifications: Must be 18 years of age. Must be currently attending high school, ROP classes or equivalent or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current certification for Lifeguard training (recognized by the State of California), First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and O2 required and must be maintained and kept in current status.
- Lifeguard Instructor preferred.
- Water Safety Instructor (Red Cross) or Fundamentals of Teaching YMCA Swim Lessons preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment swim test.
- Be able to perform all requirements for lifeguard certification and demonstrate skills as required (example: in-service trainings)
- Criminal clearance including fingerprints
- Health screening w/negative TB test and negative drug screen testing.
- Complete all required training(s).
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Public relations skills and/or experience working with a diverse population desired.
- Two or more years of experience working as a lifeguard in an aquatics facility required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in customer service or related experience required 1 year needs to be with the YMCA.
YMCA COMPENTENCIES (LEADER):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $14 to $15/hour
Membership to the YMCA.
Job Status: Part Time