Early Childhood Education Cook- YMCA of Greater Long Beach
The Early Childhood Education program of the YMCA of Greater Long Beach is looking for a part time Preschool Cook to work with children between the ages of 3 to 5 years of age. Cook will prepare meals following the CACFP requirements in a preschool setting. Will provide a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on a healthy lifestyle and the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
This is a part time position with hours during the day Monday - Friday.
- Responsible for the day to day operation of the food service and nutrition program. Will follow CACFP, Licensing guidelines and HEPA standards related to children’s nutrition and food including civil rights guidelines.
- Filling out menu production and meal count records accurately, daily. Report any missing information to supervisor immediately.
- Maintain current food handler’s certificate, and practice safety and sanitation regulations at all times.
- Inventory control with reference to daily food usage as well as standard supplies. Fill daily log of fridge and freezer temperatures.
- Purchasing of food and kitchen supplies within the established budget guidelines. Stocking first in first out.
- Maintain all kitchen areas, materials, food and appliances clean, orderly and in good working condition. Cleaning other areas of the facility, such as hallways and bathroom may be included.
- Participate in all program events/meetings and seminars as required by supervisor.
- Model and promote positive behavior, attitude and language with YMCA staff.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings and other YMCA functions as required by Supervisor.
- Maintain open lines of communication with staff and supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
We are looking for a preschool cook who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students, parents and other staff memebrs is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embrace new approaches and discovering ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!.
The YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Skills / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience with handling food, following Department of Health and Safety, State and Licensing guidelines as they relate to the food program.
- Ability to work with applicable regulations governing the food program; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to record information legibly and accurately, such as expense reports
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Criminal Clearance: including fingerprints.
- Clear Health Exam to include negative TB test, and negative Drug test screening.
- Complete all required online training(s).
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. childcare and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Pay: $13.23 to $14.22/hour
Pay Comments: YMCA Membership
Job Status: Part Time