Associate Executive Director - Lakewood Family YMCA
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach Association is looking for a full time experienced Associate Executive Director to provide leadership to the Lakewood Family YMCA .The Associate Executive Director is responsible for overseeing branch operations and strategic planning of assigned branch departments. The position also provides staff and volunteer leadership to the Teams division of the Annual Campaign fundraising efforts. The successful candidate will be an active and important member of the senior management team of the Lakewood Family YMCA and the YMCA of Greater Long Beach Association.
With an emphasis on growth and expansion while continuing to maintain and enhance the highest program quality. Branch program operations include, but are not limited to: Membership, Day Camp, Licensed Childcare (2 sites), Teens, Health & Wellness, Aquatics, Gymnastics, Youth & Adult Sports. The Associate Executive Director will develop, organize, and implement high quality programs and services to meet the needs of the community, along with overseeing the Teams division of a growing $175,000 Annual Support Campaign. The ideal candidate is someone with a demonstrated track record in financial management and can sustain the Y’s nonprofit business model while maximizing growth potential. The AED will need to provide dynamic leadership that drives a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that delivers a consistent quality experience for members, participants and families. The AED will be expected to build authentic relationships to enhance individual and team performance in support of the Y’s work. The AED will serve as a branch senior leader that values and supports the many facets of community building, program development, and philanthropy as an essential component in achieving the Y’s mission.
Resumes accepted through: July 30, 2021
Phone Interviews: Week of August 02, 2021
Final, In-Person interviews: August 9-13, 2021
Decision Anticipation: August 16, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: September 06, 2021
This is a full time position with excellent benefits!
- Work within the branch executive leadership team to set the pace for successfully executing the Annual Operating Plan and the Strategic Plan.
- Provide leadership for the following:
- Focus on growing and expanding programs and services while achieving high satisfaction and retention.
- Continued direction for positioning the branch to be successful in its outreach and partnerships into the community.
- Supervise 5 to 6 direct reports.
- All aspects of operations, including fiscal development and management, program administration, market trends and analysis, and human resources management.
- Lead the Community Teams component of the Annual Campaign fundraising efforts.
- Fiscal monitoring of total branch operating budget.
- Lead the branch in recruiting and motivating community volunteers in the Annual Campaign and provide leadership to the Community Teams fundraising events.
- Work with the staff team to develop program department budgets; effectively train staff to be proficient in market research, forecasting, detailing expenses and continued monitoring of daily revenue and expense.
- Develop systems for measuring levels of productivity within departments.
- Perform frequent on and off-site inspections of programs and act as a resource to supervisory staff.
- Develop a strong Y presence in the community forming professional relationships with key community leaders.
- Assist with the Board Committees and support the Executive Director to carry out the components of the Committee Chart of Work and prepare reports for board meetings.
- Develop strong relationships with the Board of Advisors and act as a liaison in motivating, recognizing, and engaging them in the branch priorities.
- Participate in branch and corporate functions including staff retreats, board meetings, fundraising events, recognition events and program and membership drives.
ASSOCIATION & BRANCH INFORMATION:
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach Association is a $24M organization with over 700 employees (pre-COVID). The Lakewood Family YMCA is the flagship branch of the organization with a 35,000 square foot main facility, including a gymnasium, pool, wellness center, group exercise studios, teen center, family adventure room and kids club. The Lakewood Family Y underwent major capital improvements in 2015, as well as an expanded 10,000 square foot offsite gymnastics center, multiple offsite childcare facilities, and the operation of a second offsite pool. Located in the city of Lakewood, the Lakewood Family Y serves the communities of Lakewood, Hawaiian Gardens, and East Long Beach.
The Lakewood Family YMCA has an operating budget of $4.5 million dollars, membership of 3,800 units (pre-COVID and currently 63% pre-shutdown unit levels), fitness, an active older adult group, gymnastics, aquatics, licensed childcare, day camp, teens, and sports. The Lakewood Family Y has a growing 25-member Board of Managers that raised $175,400 in 2020 for the Annual Support Campaign
We are looking for an AED who is growth focused and demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport with and relating to the members, volunteers and other staff is critical. Our goal at the Y is to meet and exceed expectations and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embrace new approaches and ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you, please apply.
YMCA Core Competencies (Supervisor):
Mission and Community Oriented: Models honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. Practices inclusion and cross-cultural understanding. Models best practices of engaging and partnering with members and community. Assists in the orientation, training, and development of volunteers.
People Oriented: Uses positional authority appropriately. Effectively engages group dynamics to develop diverse teams. Effectively tailors communications and influence strategies to the audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Results Oriented: Monitors qualitative and quantitative expectations. Encourages and supports curiosity, creativity, innovation and calculated risk-taking of others. Provides others with frameworks for decision making. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Cultivates relationships to generate funds. Effectively creates and manages budgets.
Personal Development Oriented: Manages emotions appropriately. Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. kitchen and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE YMCA OF GREATER LONG BEACH VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.
Skills / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of YMCA management experience.
- Previous YMCA program experience and relevant YMCA Leadership Certification preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate a vision of how to produce growth for the departments under direct supervision and the overall branch.
- Demonstrated ability to produce positive results in areas of branch operations including staff supervision and development, volunteer/member relations, program development, fiscal management, planning, problem solving and annual special event fundraising.
- Previous experience/knowledge of serving diverse populations.
- High skill level in planning and implementation of administrative procedures and the ability to enforce safe regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple facilities/programs.
- Must demonstrate exceptional supervisory, budgeting, forecasting skills to create and manage budget.
- Experience supervising and providing leadership and training to a professional leadership team.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational abilities and problem-solving strategies.
- Ability to respond to critical incidents and to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate policies and procedures.
- Ability to engage and motivate high level YMCA volunteers and key community leaders.
- CPR/AED, First Aid Certification and O2 Certifications obtained within 90 days of hire and must be from one of the following certifying organizations: American Red Cross, American Heart Association, American Safety and Health Institute.
- Livescan clearance
- Pre-employment medical testing: Clear Health screening with negative tb, and negative drug test screeining
- Complete all required online training(s).
Pay: $74,000 to $89,000/year
Pay Comments: In addition to a competitive salary package, the YMCA of Greater Long Beach provides a progressive work environment with great benefits, including a 12% employer-funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting, ability to make additional contributions to retirement benefits through 403(b) savings plan, high quality and affordable healthcare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability (medical 90% employer-paid for the employee), free use of YMCA facilities for immediate family, a generous paid time off package and the ability to work with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
Job Status: Full Time