Resumes Accepted through - 8/24/22
Phone and in-person interviews will start - 8/25/22
Final Decision will be made the week of - 8/29/22
Anticipated start date will be the week of - 9/12/22
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is looking for an Aquatics Director to provide leadership to the Weingart-Lakewood Family YMCA. This is an exciting time as the branch as we get ready to unveil a newly renovated facility to our community and are looking for just the right leader to join us in increasing the impact we have in our community. The Aquatics Director will need a demonstrated track record in creating a quality experience for members and participants through demonstrating a strong commitment to achieving goals. Building authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance that supports the Y's works and connects people to the Y is key. Specific areas of responsibility will include: managing aquatic programming including swimming lessons, rec swim, first aid and CPR training, and identifying new program areas . The successful candidate will serve as a branch leader that values and supports the many facets of philanthropy as an essential component in achieving the Y’s mission. This leader will also need to understand how financial management sustains the Y’s nonprofit business model and maximize the growth potential of the newly renovated facility. Vacancy will be open until filled.
KEY FOCUS AREAS:
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
- Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices and meets.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Assists with Program Committee meetings.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
ASSOCIATION & BRANCH INFORMATION:
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is a $15M organization with 550 employees. The Weingart-Lakewood Family YMCA is the association’s flagship branch and serves the close-knit community of Lakewood and East Long Beach with approximately 1,700 membership units. The current 27,665 square foot full facility (including gym, pool, strength center, fitness studios, teen center, child-watch and racquetball courts) is currently being renovated, increasing the square footage to 35,000 after construction is complete this summer. The pool was just re-opened in in time for all the summer activities!
We are looking for an Aquatics Director who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the members, volunteers and other staff members is critical. Our goal at the Y is to meet or exceed expectations and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embrace new approaches and ideas on how to create a better experience for our participants. If this sounds like a job for you please apply for this position!
PREFERRED CRITERIA FOR CANDIDATES:
Education & Certifications: High school diploma or equivalent required, bachelor degree preferred. YMCA Multi Team Leader certificate required within three years from date of hire.
Experience & Background: One to two years of program management experience, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency. Ability to direct programs through supervision of volunteers and staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development and fund-raising. Proven track record in aquatics management required. Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to exercise effective, independent judgment, and to work independently, with limited supervision.
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. kitchen and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
Pay: $65,000 to $70,000/hour
Job Status: Full Time